Thursday, July 28, 2011

poboy

upon entering Louisiana, a random stranger at a diner bought my lunch for me,
a military police officer invited me to camp in his yard, then made me spaghetti and the next day gave me packages of powdered gator aid, two bananas and bought my breakfast,

i get to Mamou and the Father of St. Anne's Catholic Church, speaking through a secretary, tells me that it's a liability to have me camp on their grounds, then suggests i go to the chamber of commerce and ask them if they know anywhere i can camp in town. by the way, it's pouring rain at this point in time.

so i go to the chamber of commerce and the people at the chamber of commerce jump on the phones and come back to me every few minutes to tell me they are still working on it. after a lil bit they have a place right down the street for me, the old boyscout hut and it still has a bathroom that is operational.

i set up camp, by the time i put up the tent the rain stopped, i play some banjo and start working on my East Texas Bottom Land Witch song.

a little while later as i'm leavin' to go grab a drink, i meet these folks that are comin' out of the old boyscout hut (so i'm in the old boyscout hut, i'm just camping at the sight and there some outdoor bathrooms there too as well a cover patio) and we start talkin'- not two minutes later she's on the phone with a friend of hers who plays in a Canjun band, then she puts me on the phone with him. a half an hour later he's comin' to meet me and we go grab a couple a beers.

turns out he plays Washboard and Bass a few bands, one of them his father's band. he's a cool dude, he has the right philosophy about playing music, understands about holdin' back until it's time to let it rip. cares a lot about just playin' music just to be playin' it. so, dude invites me to crash at his place and do laudry which is cool because a lot of my clothes and my sleeping bag are wet- (sleeping bag bag had a hole in it) dude feeds me too!

so many people have been really generous on this trip, overall the people here are really warm and they smile a lot
there's also alot of history here and some big ole trees.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting chronicle, "poetically" written as usual. I would continue to bug the chamber of commerce in each town, they may be a good source for you.

    ReplyDelete